Encountering People with Disabilities
Цена со скидкой
Цена за единицу
According to the World Health Organization, about 15 % of the world’s population live with some sort of disability, with approximately 2-4 % having significant difficulties in functional ability. The number of people who live with disabilities is estimated to increase in the future due to the world’s aging population. Many of us find it confusing or even strange to encounter a person with disabilities. We might be afraid of doing something wrong or saying something offensive or unintentionally hurting them. But with a little bit of training and a respectful attitude, you need not worry!
Skills you gain
This course gives you skills and tools to answer the following questions:
- How do I communicate respectfully with a person with disabilities?
- What is the right way to offer assistance to a person with disabilities?
- What are the different characteristics of disabilities?
About this Micro Course
- Target group: This course is suitable for anyone encountering disabled people in their line of work or personal life.
- Field of study: Health care
- Level: Basic
- Requirements: None
- Course workload: 10 hours
- Assessment: on the scale Pass/Fail
- Language: English
- Video transcript: English
This Micro Course includes practical steps to follow with videos, links, activating tasks and quizzes.
About the instructors
Your instructors are:
Eija Karjalainen, working as a senior lecturer in social studies at the South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences, Xamk. She has been lecturing for over 11 years and mainly teaches about working with people with disabilities. Previously, she has also worked as a special education teacher for adolescents and adults.
Leena Nurminen, teaches nursing for students at South Savo Vocational College Esedu in Mikkeli, in Finland. She has been working here for almost ten years in this position, where she is a responsible lecturer in the field of education and the care of children and young people, as well as in disability work.
Leila Pihlaja has been working as a Senior Lecturer at South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences for over 30 years. She has a master's degree in the field of education and solution-focused therapy. Her main fields of expertise are leadership and development, work counseling , and online learning.
Kaisa Niemelä works as a teacher in Samiedu Vocational College in Savonlinna, Finland. She has a master’s degree in health science and has worked for over 20 years in vocational education. Her main competencies relate to rehabilitation, health promotion, and supporting the functional capacity of people of all ages, including disabled people.
Kirsi Pokkinen is a health care teacher at Etelä-Savo Vocational College, in Mikkeli, Finland. She has been teaching nursing students for over 20 years. Before this, she used to work as a pediatric nurse.
Achieving a certificate
The Micro Course is assessed on the scale Pass/Fail. Receiving a certificate via email requires completing all mandatory activities, and at least 50% of them correctly.
Does this Micro Course interest you? This is what to do!
- Click on the Add to cart button.
- Pay for the Micro Course according to the online store instructions.
- You receive two messages in your email, an order confirmation and a link to the Claned learning platform.
- Log in to the Claned learning platform, take the Micro Course within 6 months and enjoy learning new.